Thursday, April 24, 2014

Chapter Three: Devastation, Part XIV: January 2010

Please begin reading my divorce memoir from the beginning.

January 28, 2010

I finally called Kathy and told her I need to talk to her. Her daughter had gymnastics practice and she met me for dinner at Friendly’s. We chit-chatted for about two minutes, then she asked me, “So is something the matter? You don’t look too good.”

I whispered, “Jerry’s cheating on me.” She gasped and I grabbed her hand across the table. I said, “You believe me, don’t you?”

She squeezed my hand and said, “Yes, I believe you. What happened?”

So I told her the whole gory story. When I saw the reaction on her face as I spoke, I thought, this story doesn’t even sound feasible. It’s like a soap opera. It makes me sound so stupid. I told her the whole thing from November, up to the phone, going to counseling, him flying off the handle and being irrational.

I told her it was the week before her father’s memorial when I found the phone and I couldn’t tell her because her father had just died. I asked if this is too soon to know something like this but she said it was okay. She wished I had told her sooner, but I just couldn’t.

She knew about his rages, but I don’t think she really understands how he is. She would always say Mitch gets mad, too. I can see getting mad, but to have your husband punch in walls and doors and rant until he is in another realm in his mind is a very scary thing to go through.

I could see she was upset. She said she believed me, but I thought I saw some doubt on her face. Nobody’s going to believe me because I’ve been such a good actor, keeping it all under wraps, saving face, looking good.

We only had a little over an hour before she had to pick up her daughter. She said she wanted me to come over to her house this weekend. I told her I was going into Philadelphia for the Forum. Hopefully it will make me strong and give me direction.

I couldn’t eat the food I ordered. Kathy took the sandwich home with her.

No comments: